A square knot is used to tie the two ends of a single line together so that they will secure something. For example you could use your square knot to tie a bundle of objects together. Since a square knot will lie flat when it is made of fabric, it has also been used in the medical field for things like tying bandages. Sometimes the square knot is used to tie belts for martial arts such as karate or jiu-jitsu. Boys are also required to tie a square knot before they can join the Boy Scouts.Ads
How to Tie a Square Knot
- Start with two pieces of rope that are close in diameter. We’ll call them rope 1 and rope 2 for the purposes of this demonstration.
- Hold the end of rope 1 in your left hand and the end of rope 2 in your right hand.
- Cross rope 1 over rope 2 to form an X.
- Wrap rope 1 once to the right around rope 2, just like the first step in tying a bow in your shoestrings. Rope 1 is now to the right and rope 2 is to the left.
- Cross rope 1 over rope 2 again to form another X.
- Wrap rope 1 once to the left around rope 2.
- Now just pull on both free ends to tighten the knot and you’re finished!
I think that with these instructions you will be well on your way to tying a perfect square knot. Just remember to be patient, have fun, and practice, practice, practice.